Black Beans Recipe
- a 2 or 3 quart saucepan with lid
- stir spoon
- one bag, one lb of black beans
- 4+ cloves of garlic
- 2 onions, preferably yellow, roughly chopped
- 2 bell peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped <-- I don't use often
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (heaped)
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp cumin (heaped)
- 1/2 tsp coriander (heaped)
- 1/4 tsp seasoned salt (heaped)
- 2 tsp allspice fresh ground
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder (heaped)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (heaped)
- Soak beans forever (more than 4 hours) in cold water
- Drain beans
- Rinse them off in a colander
- Put into a pan that has a lid
- Add 1 quart water (four cups)
- Add all prepared ingredients
- Bring to boil
- Skim water surface for excess spices and froth (not so important)
- Turn down the heat and pop the lid on to simmer for 1 hour
- Drain the liquid, keep for other recipes if you want
- Remove bay leaf(s)
Tomato Soup Recipe
- one skillet or similar pan for sautéing
- one two-pint-or-so saucepan
- wooden spoon
- one slice of bacon
- one carrot => baby carrots++
- fistful of small sweet tomatoes
- veggie stock (just a couple tablespoons)
- half-and-half or richer dairy
- fresh basil and parseley
- black pepper
- two or three cloves of garlic
- Cook your bacon slowly, so it's crispy and crumbles when done
- Peel the garlic and drop it into the pan with the bacon
- Julienne the carrot(s) so they've atleast one dimension in the 3mm range, drop in with bacon.
- blanche and then chop your tomatos
- Put the tomatos in the saucepan and get them stewing a bit if you're ahead of schedule on it. You probably won't be.
- transfer the carrot and garlic and all drippings to the saucepan,
- add the herbs all nice and minced-like and let it stew for a while
- use the stock to deglaze the pan you cooked the bacon in.
- Really work at it with high heat and the wooden spoon to ensure you get all the goodies
- when it's stewed fully, fish the garlic out and set it aside.
- Blitz the soup in the blender until you like the consistency and put it back in the saucepan.
- add butter, dairy, and black pepper to taste.
- Salt if necessary but it usually isn't.
- Don't let it get to a full simmer with the dairy already added
- serve with bacon and sauteed garlic cloves (still whole) floated on top